Tuesday, June 30, 2009

St. Patrick's Day Parade (2009) - Toronto





































oh Janey-Mac how did I end up doing this?














I've spent over 40 years avoiding huge crowds, parades, media coverages etc. - little did I know I had a publicity hound on my hands. Here I was terrified about doing this with a young wolfie (such a huge parade) - yuk cameras, must avoid - wait, wait Janey is loving it. Ever stranger that comes running up to her, all the noise, the bands, the cheering - what she's enjoying herself? No, say it ain't so .... but it was just the beginning. She loves being the centre of attention and in the limelight ... it doesn't matter if I feel sick to my stomach and hate having my picture taken. It was a beautiful sunny day but chilly. I was worried about Janey getting to cold so for the first time in years I decided to try my hand at making her a celtic cape (fancy and pretty) and warm for the parade. I sewed it by hand because I hadn't had time to learn how to use the sewing machine that my husband bought for me (many years ago and still in its box).














I have to admit the coat turned out better than I hoped and I had fun being creative again. The coat itself received many compliments that day from friends and strangers who wanted to know where I bought it. Hmmmm - Janey smiled at me saying see I helped you find your calling but the credit is mine so it should be called Janey-Mac Attire since of course she's the star.














All kidding aside, I was very proud of Janey that day. She was the one that comforted me and she showed me the ropes. How mature, responsible and what a delight to spend such a special day bonding with her. It changed our whole relationship. She gave me possibilities.







The kids, my husband and friends were there. The kids took their first subway ride that day. Janey-Mac charmed all the crowds afterwards with her warmth and good nature. She didn't mind one bit meeting all the friendly strangers who wanted to meet a wolfhound (most for the first time) and take pictures with her. She even dragged my sorry behind into a camera crew doing interviews with parade participaters for an overseas Irish broadcast. No .... nooooo..... I'm convinced I played a complete fool and she just sat nicely and smiled. I hope the piece ended up on the cutting room floor so-to-speak.






No comments:

Post a Comment